Sunday, June 3, 2012

Yesterday's Answer, Today's Question


Update:




Due to some email difficulty my own information was held up. 


I am restarting an daily page for one more year beginning Monday, June 4th when I will start by answering:


How many passengers was the horse-drawn hansom cab meant to carry?




My guess from television would be two, but it wouldn't surprise me if they started out smaller.








Also, the last answer I received before my communications went awry, was:




Alexander Pope said, "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing." He was also later quoted, "A little learning..." and is said to have borrowed the phrase himself from A History of Phanaticism by an author only know as A.B. who, in 1698, wrote:




"Twas well observed by my Lord Bacon, That a little knowledge is apt to puff up, and make men giddy, but a greater share of it will set them right, and bring them to low and humble thoughts of themselves.


In other words these quotes are not about knowledge being a threat but rather about not knowing the whole story can lead to unwanted results.


Assuming things are back to normal I will likely post these tidbits and their elaborations for one more year ending on June 2, 2013, although this coloring problem may well deter me.


Have a nice day, Otto


(Sources: American Mensa, email transmission, May & June 2012; http://www.victorianweb.org/technology/carriages/1.html; http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/a-little-knowledge-is-a-dangerous-thing.html)




Compiled by Otto Ladensack with Patricia Ladensack

No comments:

Post a Comment